Upcoming Classroom and Online Dates: August 23 – 26, 2021 & October 18 -21, 2021
Also Available Online: Yes (New!)
Class Fee: $750
Location: Online only through the end of the COVID restrictions
Length: 4+ Days of pre-recorded lectures. Most students take about 40 hours to complete the pre-recorded lectures, homework, 5 labs, exercises, Q&A Sessions, and the two tests.
Accreditation: The American Academy of Health Physics (AAHP) has approved the Radiation Safety Officer Course for 40 CE credits. The approval ID Number is 2020-01-01-2912.
The 40 hour Radiation Safety Short course is intended for Radiation Safety Officers. Once completing the course, attendees will have the skills to effectively run a radiation safety program. The RSO course includes the required DOT training for the transportation of radioactive materials and contains several laboratories on radiation measurements and instrumentation. The course is an intensive four day lecture series with five virtual labs, live Q&A sessions through Zoom, and two tests (one for DOT and one for the general class). It normally takes students about 40 hours total to complete the program with the required homework. The class topics are listed below.
The cost for the Radiation Safety Officer course is $750 per person. The course is offered at the RSE training facility in Chandler, Arizona and online. In-person class offerings have been temporarily stopped until the end of the COVID pandemic. Online students must call the office ahead of the class to ensure all class materials are received before the class starts. Call (480) 897-9459 or (800) 477-8691.
An RSO training certificate and preceptor statement is also offered for those students that successfully complete EEE498/591 at the Ira A. Fulton School of Engineering at ASU. Click here for more information on that course.
RSO Course Topics Include:
- Review of Mathematics Principles
- Review of Physics Principles
- Atomic Structure and Physics
- Units of Radiation and Radioactivity
- Sealed Source Leak Checks
- Types of Ionizing Radiations
- Radiation Shielding Principles
- Units of Radiation Risk
- Use of Pocket Dosimeters
- Dose Estimates for Gamma Emitting Nuclides
- Acute Biological Effects of Ionizing Radiations
- Long Term Biological Effects of Ionizing Radiations
- Typical Radiation Doses from Background, Medicine, and Industry
- Dose Limits for Occupationally Exposed Individuals
- Techniques for Limiting Radiation Doses to Personnel
- Radiation Warning Signs
- Shipping Labeling Requirements
- Instrument Overview and Selection of Radiation Survey Instrument
- Department of Transportation Regulations Introduction
- Radioactive Materials Package Requirements
- Dose Rates and Removable Contamination of Packages
- Marking and Labeling of Packages
- Shipping Papers
- Shipping By Aircraft
- Excepted Packages
- Personnel Dosimetry
- License Requirements
- Area Surveys
- Calibration and QC of Instrumentation
- Radiation Safety Training
- Disposal of Radioactive Materials
- Laboratory On Use of GM Survey Meters
- Laboratory Specific to Course Attendees
- Laboratory on Smear Counting
- Laboratory on Emergency Response
- Laboratory On Proper Labeling and Receiving of Packages
In order to sign up for an upcoming Radiation Safety Officer Course please enter your registration information below. The cost for this course is $750 per person. We will contact you at the phone number provided to arrange payment. Payments via check, American Express, MasterCard and Visa are accepted.