Dates: Available for sign up and completion year-round. The course is available for a maximum of 6 months after registration and completed at your own pace.
Cost: The Radiation Safety Officer course is $895 per person. The cost includes 2 binders of lecture materials, access to the pre-recorded lectures online, Zoom Q&A sessions, Radiation Safety Officer Course and DOT Hazmat tests, and certificates upon completion. Please fill out the form below to register.
Length: 4+ Days of pre-recorded lectures. Most students take about 40 hours to complete the pre-recorded lectures, homework, 5 labs, exercises, Q&A Sessions, and the two tests.
Optional Zoom Q&A Dates: Every Wednesday for the calendar year of 2022.
Description: The 40-hour Radiation Safety Officer course is intended for prospective Radiation Safety Officers. Once completing the course, attendees will have the skills to effectively run a radiation safety program. The RSO course includes the required DOT Hazmat training for the transportation of radioactive materials and contains several laboratories on radiation measurements and instrumentation. The RSO course topics are listed below.
Accreditation: The American Academy of Health Physics (AAHP) has approved the Radiation Safety Officer Course for 40 CE credits. The approval ID Number is 2020-01-01-2912.
RSO Course Topics Include:
- Review of Mathematics Principles
- Review of Physics Principles
- Atomic Structure and Physics
- Units of Radiation and Radioactivity
- Sealed Source Leak Checks
- Types of Ionizing Radiations
- Radiation Shielding Principles
- Units of Radiation Risk
- Use of Pocket Dosimeters
- Dose Estimates for Gamma Emitting Nuclides
- Acute Biological Effects of Ionizing Radiations
- Long Term Biological Effects of Ionizing Radiations
- Typical Radiation Doses from Background, Medicine, and Industry
- Dose Limits for Occupationally Exposed Individuals
- Techniques for Limiting Radiation Doses to Personnel
- Radiation Warning Signs
- Shipping Labeling Requirements
- Instrument Overview and Selection of Radiation Survey Instrument
- Department of Transportation Regulations Introduction
- Radioactive Materials Package Requirements
- Dose Rates and Removable Contamination of Packages
- Marking and Labeling of Packages
- Shipping Papers
- Shipping By Aircraft
- Excepted Packages
- Personnel Dosimetry
- License Requirements
- Area Surveys
- Calibration and QC of Instrumentation
- Radiation Safety Training
- Disposal of Radioactive Materials
- Laboratory On Use of GM Survey Meters
- Laboratory Specific to Course Attendees
- Laboratory on Smear Counting
- Laboratory on Emergency Response
- Laboratory On Proper Labeling and Receiving of Packages
An RSO training certificate and preceptor statement is also offered for those students that successfully complete EEE498/591 at the Ira A. Fulton School of Engineering at ASU. Click here for more information on that course.
In order to sign up for an upcoming Radiation Safety Officer Course, please enter your registration information below. We will contact you at the email provided to arrange payment for the class and coordinate getting the handouts and test sent to you. We are only able to send binders to addresses in the United States by Fedex or UPS. Instructions will be emailed for accessing and completing the course. The course completion certificate will be mailed once the test has been returned and graded. Payments via check, American Express, MasterCard and Visa are accepted.